Born 5 August 1980, Leningrad, now St. Petersburg, Russia.
From 1999 to 2000 studied at the Vocational School of Mechanics & Optics, (St. Petersburg, Russia) as a photographer. 2002–2004 studied at the School of Photojournalism of The Union of Journalists (St. Petersburg, Russia). In 2005 joined the agency Photographer.Ru. 2007–2009 – cooperated with the Anzenberger agency (Austria). Since 2004 – freelance photographer. In 2011 graduated the Institute of Contemporary Art, Moscow. In 2012 taught the course «New Documentary. Personal stories» at photography department of British Higher School of Art and Design, Moscow. Worked in Belarus, Ukraine, Central Russia, Siberia, Arctic, Caucasus, Central Asia, Far East.
Since 2010 lives and works in Moscow.
Works are in the collection of Moscow Museum of Modern Art and private collections.
Igor Starkov and Daria Andreeva. Solo exhibitions:
– “Kalevala. Research”, All-Russian Decorative Applied and Folk Art Museum, Moscow
– New Wave, Triumph Gallery, Moscow
– Along the Belomor-Baltic Channel, parallel program to 3rd Moscow Biennale of Young art, CCA Winzavod, Moscow
– Buryatia, Central House of Artists, Moscow
Igor Starkov. Solo exhibitions:
– Pure Vision, Mayakovsky Centre of Culture and Music, Saint-Petersburg
– Between Heaven and Earth, Rizzordi Art Foundation, Saint Petersburg
– Upgrade of Cultural Identity – TEREMOK, Art-Centre Independent Plaza, Moscow
– SI Fest, Savignano Immagini Festival #19, Savignano
– No Translations #1. Everyday Heroism, Random Gallery and Open scene, Moscow
– EAST, Central European House of Photography, Bratislava (curator: Anzenebrgergroup)
– A New Place to Live, The Courtyard Theatre, Stratford-upon-Avon (curator: Liza Faktor)
– A Decisive Moment, Manege, Saint Petersburg
– Photographer. ru Agency: exhibition to mark the opening of the project, Artplay, Moscow
– Young Photographers of Russia, State Museum of Photography, Nijny Novgorord
– Zolotoy obiektiv prize exhibition, Museum of Fine Arts, Novgorod
– Modern Petersburg as seen by photographers, State Russian Museum, Saint Petersburg
– “Kalevala. Research” (exhibition catalogue), publisher Triumph Gallery, Moscow, Russia, 2013
– “Along the White Sea-Baltic Sea Canal”, Treemedia Books, Moscow, Russia, 2012, 196 pages. With the support of Mikhail Prokhorov Foundation.
– “Buryatia”, Treemedia Books, Moscow, Russia, 2011, 70 pages.
– “Global Photography: From True Stories”, Associazione Culturale Officine Fotografiche, Roma, Italy, 2009
– “East”, by Regina Maria Anzenberger (Editor), Moser Verlag, Munchen, Germany, 2008
– Black and White St-Petersburg: Palace Editions, 2003
Artist's personal web-page: http://igorstarkov.com